SARAH & MIKE
The holidays hold a certain nostalgia for many-a time of family, love, laughter, friends, feasts, and gifts.
Although these times may be merry for many, they also bring with them excessive packaging, wasted food, and many other mindless and practices that we maybe just participate in because we haven't taken the time to consider doing them in a more gentle way.
We are living in a time where we are empowered to make our own choices and reimagine the way we have been doing things to ensure that the future generations get to experience the awe of the natural world. In this very innovative time, we can all make a positive impact with each and every action we take!
So, this year, our family decided to reexamine the way we celebrate the season-to make an intentional shift for ourselves and invite family and friends to join us (without getting preachy or annoying).
- Bring our own vegan dishes to share with others.
- Bring reusable containers/dishes for serving and for leftovers (no paper plates, disposable silverware, or plastic wrap).
- Share a list of our favorite recipes and ingredients we like with our family before they shop for the meal (local, organic, vegan alternatives)
- Make the right amount of food for the number of people present to reduce food waste (and eat all the leftovers)!
- Encourage options with less/no dairy, refined white sugars, factory farmed meat, processed foods, or mystery ingredients.
- Go shopping together as a family to pick out fresh, organic vegetables.
- Demonstrate how to find composting resources and how to recycle the various materials responsibly.
- Give the gift of presence/experience with one another.
- Opt out of wrapping paper or any type of plastic packaging for gifts we are giving! There are many creative fabric alternatives (scarves, etc) that can serve as part of the gift.
- Save any wrapping/bags received for re-use or recycling.
- Ship in paper, not plastic (including packing materials!)
- Choose to donate to our favorite charity in honor of family members.
- Minimize our travel plans by planning ahead of time.
- Carpool whenever possible.
Our biggest goals for holiday celebrations are to be able to stay true to our values and compassionate for those of others. As we choose vegan, gluten-free, zero-waste options, others may choose to join us or at least understand our choices in an open, positive conversation!
All the best!